The Independence Bank Fireworks Celebration, which had been scheduled for July 3, is being postponed.
“While disappointing to so many, this determination was made in the public-health interests of July 3rd Independence Bank Fireworks Celebration participants, vendors, suppliers, volunteers, guests and our partner agency, the City of Henderson,” DHP Executive Director Lindsay Locasto said.
The Independence Bank Fireworks Celebration is DHP’s largest event of the year.
“This decision was not easy,” Locasto said. “We look forward to the day when we will be able to safely come together for these fun community events.”
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear’s Phase 3 guidance for reopening the state will allow gatherings of up to 50 people starting July 1. Polling of the DHP Board of Directors found unanimous agreement that it wouldn’t be prudent to invite thousands of people to the Henderson riverfront area on July 3. The need to implement appropriate safety measures for large-scale events while also ensuring physical distancing options for participants were also contributing factors.
DHP explored a number of alternatives to using the riverfront as the fireworks venue, but none proved satisfactory and some were rejected after consultation with fire prevention officials.
“We are hopeful that this will just be a postponing for the fireworks,” Locasto said. “Our presenting sponsor is onboard with us rescheduling to a further date where we can abide by recommendations by the governor and the CDC. We are looking at further possible dates.”
“We know so many of our downtown events are a long-standing tradition and are important to celebrate. They impact our local businesses and support our economy through the many people that come downtown to the firework celebration,” Locasto said.
Indeed, one reason the Independence Bank Fireworks Celebration was moved to the night before the Fourth of July was to enable fireworks enthusiasts the opportunity to dine at Downtown Henderson restaurants when they weren’t closed for the holiday. Multiple restaurant owners expressed support for postponing the fireworks show to a time when their establishments can operate at capacity.